Sunday, January 06, 2008

Moratorium

Periodically, I'm asked to officiate wedding ceremonies. It comes with the gig.

And, doing so is a joy for me. For about a thousand different reasons. I performed a ceremony for a former student last night, in fact.

But can I ask a favor from all of you? I mean, I imagine we'll all go to a wedding or two over the coming year...and I think something needs to come to an end:

Pretty much 75% of the attendees taking digital flash photography from their seat. As well as the dancing, toasting and other festivities that go on during the reception.

I don't get it. I truly don't.

I'm standing up in front of two people who love each other and want to get married. It's enjoyable and serious and exciting and everything that goes into that life-moment. And electronic flashes are going off at an alarming rate. It really is distracting for me...and I'm pretty far away. I can't imagine how distracting it is for people sitting next to the folks taking the photo.

At a wedding over a year ago, I saw someone literally hold their hand straight above their head during the ceremony to take a flash photo.

At another wedding over two years ago, I saw someone jump out into the aisle--BLOCKING THE PAID PHOTOGRAPHER, NO LESS--to take a picture of the kiss.

I've seen people block the guest's view of all sorts of great moments like the couple's first dance, the cutting of the cake, the bride's dance with her dad, the throwing of the bouquet...the whole bit...in order to get a "great shot" with their personal camera.

But folks, please remember the following:

...the wedding ceremony itself is a worship service. No matter the venue, no matter the atmosphere, no matter what. You don't take photography of any kind, especially flash photography, during that time.
...they've paid a video company and a professional photographer to document the day for posterity. They don't need you to help them out. You're actually more in the way.
...getting photos up first on MySpace of Facebook isn't really that important.
...and I don't mind you getting your photo made with the bride or groom or other family members or friends--take all of those you want--while you're there at the reception. Those are what you want to take, anyway. Do that until your heart's content.
...all of life's moments DO NOT have to be preserved on video or in digital formats. Sometimes we should all just sit back and enjoy them. Just having the memories on your inner hard-drive should be enough.

So, The Diner has officially posted this moratorium which will serve until Emily Post makes such social rules official.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home