Tuesday, May 24, 2005

End Of An Era

As a parent, I've noticed that the 2nd child kinda gets ripped off in the realm of experiences.

See, the first child gets a parental enthusiasm...or at least a parental curiosity when it comes to certain events. For example, on the first day of school for the first child, there are ample photo shoots and videos and walking to school holding hands. For the second child, the same things take place, but the "newness" of the experience is over from the parental end of things. The mindset is more of a "we'll do it, but we've been there and done that."

Today, though, I have an enthusiasm for an event for my youngest child that I didn't have with my oldest when she went through it: 5th grade "graduation." Yes, the elementary school has a little ceremony for the end of elementary school. I don't think they should call it "graduation" but there's nothing wrong with a ceremony marking life's little milestones. In fact, we should do more celebrating as a society if you ask me.

Anyway, there will be some singing and clapping and thanking of teachers...my first kid went through it two years ago. But for the 2nd kid going through, I'm actually more excited for her than I was for my oldest.

The reason is that it's the end of an era in many ways. It was fun while it lasted, but contrary to what most parents think, I'm looking forward to having two middle schoolers in the house. I mean, I loved it when the girls were little and on the 4th of July they'd decorate their bikes and we'd go to our town's little bike parade. But I'm glad it's over now. The first two times were cute, but then it got real old real fast.

It's the same for elementary school. It was fun going to the "open house" nights and seeing the art on the wall and the Flat Stanley pictures and all that jazz...but it's time to move on. It was fun while it lasted.

So, Shelby, if today while you're singing and clapping and thanking teachers, you catch your dad very excited to be there, don't be surprised. Being the youngest can also mean that you are the one who takes our family fully--not partially--into new eras and adventures. So, kiddo, take us there. I think we're all ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home