Sunday, April 27, 2008

Teacher Evaluations

We all had our favorite teachers, right?

In elementary school, my favorite teacher was Mrs. O'Donnell. I think she was a newlywed and my reasons for her being my favorite involved being pretty.

In middle school, it was Mrs. Brooks. She was the cool teacher who didn't condescend to us when she probably should've, and she liked Rush "2112" as her favorite album. She and her husband took me to an Auburn football game after my dad died.

In high school, mine was a quirky A.A.R.P. candidate with horn-rimmed glasses on a chain that sat on the end of her nose, referred to everyone by putting "Scholar" in front of our last names, and kept the room freezing cold on the theory that we wouldn't sleep.

In college, it was an English professor who would come in and bow (think of Muslims on rugs facing Mecca) to the football stadium (which just had a multi-million dollar addition of suites and such), worked for the people that made Garbage Pail Kid trading cards as a consultant, and threw an eraser at you any time you said the word "just" because he felt that word was horrible misused.

At seminary, it was Dr. Zuck. He learned all our names before class started by looking at the seminary facebook and his knowledge and passion for teaching us was evident. It was impossible not to admire his creativity and love for what he did.

And yesterday, my 2nd favorite teacher from seminary spoke at my church for our men's conference. His name is Glen Kreider, and he came to the seminary at a time when many of the revered professors were training the next generation of classroom leaders. Dr. Kreider had that ability to work within the system to change the system where it needs to be changed. And enhance what doesn't need to be changed. So, I liked his style. He did things differently and was a mild maverick of sorts (to the degree you can when working for a seminary) but his approach to the classroom was right where I was. Still am. Use lots of multimedia to make points. Get discussion going. Take the opposite position of what you believe to get people to think outside the box. Of course, he ruffled feathers...both those seated in front of him and those in offices above him. Enough to effectively teach his students, lovingly irritate the establishment, but not enough to get fired.

He used his "formula" in our church...played a Nickelback song ("Rockstar") to get discussion going on pride & ambition and a Derek Webb song ("I Repent") that gets people to think. I thought it was pretty cool when someone who goes to our church approached me at a break and asked if I'd had classes under him because he noticed "a lot of similarities in style and approach and how you illustrate the text." I asked him if this was a good thing because...well...like I said, he can irritate and get under your skin in the best of ways. He laughed and said it was a very good thing. I was relieved.

Anyway, I tell you all this because today's the last day I'm teaching my class on Jeremiah.

And, like I usually do, and like most institutions usually do, I hand out a teacher evaluation form. I don't think I can get better at my craft without those little anonymous reminders of what those learning observe.

And, like I usually do, I begin to have all those petty doubts and insecurities rear their ugly heads...

...and wonder if I've effectively taught my students.

Because I've been entrusted with communicating the greatest Truth known to mankind. It's quite a responsibility. That responsibility weighs on me more than I let on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home