Sunday, April 20, 2008

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that Judd Aptow might be the most overrated comedy filmmaker in America. I have no idea why he not only gets big box office numbers but also critical acclaim. Crass visuals & tension-creating conversation is distinctly different than comedy, folks.
...that Kid1's high school is moving into their $55 million facility starting Monday and it will be cool to go see it on Friday. I have to miss the tour that takes place today.
...that tearing down the swing set went a lot faster than I thought it would. And with less emotional investment than I'd planned.
...that my prediction for the Rangers winning 75 games (tops) might've been a bit ambitious.
...that the Starts need to win their playoff game at home tonight and not fool around with a potential game 7 in Anaheim.
...sometimes the best way to spend an afternoon is lounging around with Kid2. She's a really cool person that I think I'd hang out with if she wasn't my daughter. I don't know if she feels the same way about me, though. I'll take what I can get, even if it's boredom hang-outs.
...it'll be interesting to see my daughters two different personalities highlighted as Kid2's driving instruction (well, pre-instruction. You know, tooling around the church parking lot.) will start soon. From what I can gather, this one will have an entirely different approach to driving a car than my first-born--who generally plays into first-born stereotypes.
...that I'd love to have someone come to our church and write an article about us from the "outsider's" perspective. I reviewed a book on that once and Rolling Stone had an article in the new edition that did that at a conference for a higher-profile ministry than ours. I wonder what an outsider would say about my church and what we'd change or keep the same based on what they observed.
...that the smokin' hot shutterbug trophy wife and I chatted a little last night about the way things are run at our community's local high schools. You know, that parents are virtually held hostage by incredible volunteer commitments and time demands and money for the bigger, better deal in (insert sport, band, drama, journalism, dance team, etc., here). It's weird. Everybody agrees about one thing: That there's nothing you can do about it, and that any organized resistance will fail. They also realize that their kids are the ones that will get punished by the gestapo-esque tactics of the leaders of these deals. I wonder what it would take to stop the madness.
...speaking of stopping the madness, I wonder when the economy of planning weddings will self-correct and head back to how it was when punch, cookies and cake ruled the day at receptions.
...except for the baseball-sized hail on a couple of occasions, the weather here has been beautiful.
...that whenever I have lunch with my friend Bailey, it's a unique blend of conversation about the deepest truths in life combined with laughter about the silliest things. She's also going to Auburn after she graduates, but I don't think that has anything to do with the enjoyable lunches.
...I'm planning on teaching a film & theology course this summer and teaching exegetically through 1, 2 & 3 John next fall. I'm excited about both the creativity factor as well as the intellectual challenges that show up.
...that, with some of the stuff I've been dealing with lately internally, there's a stark reality: living well is the best revenge. Not that revenge needs to be taken, but sometimes the lack of chaos presented by certain choices in lifestyle are their very own reward.
...seriously, I think our Men's Conference at our church next weekend is going to be very good. One of my favorite theology professors, Glen Kreider, is the keynote speaker. I'm kinda bummed I'll have to miss Friday night's session--well, not really, because I'm going to see Kid1 get inducted into NHS--but Saturday should be cool.
...that I need to get to work. I'm teaching Lamentations for the first time ever for the next two weeks...and I have a lot of stuff to write on the whiteboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home