Friday, April 18, 2008

Answering the Questions, Part 3

Here's the rest of the questions:

First of all, to Kendra: I'll go back and re-read the section on Tony Jones' book (I've lent it to a friend), but my recollection is that, as he "embraces" paradox, he fails to give credence to the possible explanations that make sense. In other words, in my way of thinking, he fails to take strong stands in areas where strong stands can be taken. But, again, I'm not looking at his work contextually at present so I'll have to get back to you when my book comes back.

Regarding Lori's question about the best book I've read this year: I haven't read many good books this year. The best one is the one I'm reading right now by N.T. Wright called "Surprised by Hope."

Regarding Kris' questions: Moby's new CD is reminiscent of his early work. So, if you like his early stuff (pre-"Play") then you'll like the CD. I like his earlier stuff. And regarding the movie "Smart People": If you liked "Juno" and you liked "Little Miss Sunshine," welcome to Hollywood's ability to try to cash in on appearing "indie" without being "indie." It's no "Little Miss Sunshine," (and a very big drop from Juno) but it was enjoyable enough. A few laughs and good story.

Regarding JH in FM's questions: " The elect or the chosen, if we choose Him are we then considered part of the elect? What does this all mean when we know that some will not choose to follow Christ? Refrences to dig into please, I have never received a full honest explanation on this one. Or maybe I just did not understand." Really? They haven't settled this in roughly 400 years and better minds than me have written volumes on it. I'm flattered you think I could deliver an "full, honest" explanation you could understand, but the reality is that I'd only significantly muddy the water. I'll say that I find most of the answers to this type of question will involve the matter of perspective...in other words, from God's perspective and man's perspective on the same things.

What makes me toss and turn and keep me up at night? Nothing these days. When my head hits the pillow, I'm out, man. I'm in a pretty happy, joyful, peaceful place these days...and when you combine that with a warp-speed job right now, I'm pretty much comatose from 10:30PM to 5AM.

My worst habit: I guess that'd depend on who you ask. I bite my nails. I ignore people when I read. I often lack compassion. If you ask me, I'd say it's my tendency to dismiss diet and exercise first to clear up time in my day.

Texas Roast vs. Starbucks: Neither. I prefer a normal cup of joe at my house (usually Chock Full O' Nuts or Folgers Breakfast Blend). The only way I'd pay $4 for a coffee is to use the space they provide to hang out with people. I'm terribly blue collar in this sense...so when I go to those places it isn't for the coffee.

My favorite gadget: The iPod. It's simply the greatest gadget ever.

And lastly, to the two movie quotes at the end:

"African or European?"
And
"No, but I have been in a turkish prison."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home