Friday, April 11, 2008

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that it was pretty fun having three local professional sports teams all at exciting points in their respective games last night (Stars scoring an important 2nd goal at Anaheim in the playoffs, Rangers scoring in the bottom of the 8th to win game 2 of a double header, and Dirk knocking down a game-winning 3-point shot to ensure a playoff birth for the Mavs) and catching most of the excitement via remote control.
...that seeing my daughter in her prom dress a couple of nights ago caused the following thoughts: Her date is very lucky; she looks so grown up; and that it was easier being the dad of daughters when they'd be wearing an oversized t-shirt, sucking their thumb in your lap while you read Dr. Suess to them.
...that I need to get more informed about what's going on in Tibet. Really. I mean that.
...that even churches can get a corporate mentality (which isn't meant in a negative way) because we've had three meetings to get ready for ONE meeting on Sunday night. They might be necessary meetings and I'm "in the loop," but it still seems like a lot of meetings for a one-hour meeting.
...that I need to do something about my yard. You know, like develop a plan for an overall landscaping job. We've lost trees, got some drainage issues, we could use a deck, we need some shrubs and rocks and stuff. But then we get into time/money/priority thing. I mean, I keep it mowed and orderly but I could use less to mow and maybe work out some shaded areas. I think on the deck I'd like one of those half-covered & screened, half-outside deals.
...I'm glad The Office had a new episode last night.
...Yes, I see the irony of eating Pringles while watching that show "The Biggest Loser."
...my reading has gone from warp-speed to nil in the last few weeks. I think it's a combination of lots of studying for teaching and my book choices are some heady fare lately. I'm just too tired to stay focused on the pages lately.
...speaking of reading, I judged a book by it's cover yesterday: How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization. Immediately, I thought it'd be a book I'd enjoy reading. I have no idea why, but the title would cause an impulse buy if I'd seen it in the store.
...this blog needs layout makeover. I'm thinking about getting an layout-for-Dummies thing and having at it. There has to be one, right?
...speaking of this blog: Is it a bad thing if somebody asks you what your hobbies are and the thought pops into your brain, "Managing The Diner."? Is it bad if I didn't say it, but it was kind of true?
...of course, the real answers to that question involve Auburn football, major league baseball and the JFK assassination. Maybe I should answer with "managing The Diner." Seems less weird than the others.
...I've got a slew of weddings coming up, both officiating and just attending. I like this, but not for Wedding Crasher reasons. I just like weddings.
...I'm finally coming around on the idea of having a small dog. I used to like saying that I had a "black lab" because most of the things I enjoy in life don't have the ring of things men traditionally like and I could always say I had a "black lab" and garner guy points. So, getting a Shih Tzu was one more blow to my male ego. But now, I kind of bow up when people snicker when I say that. Kinda like saying, "Make fun if you want, but that dog is so awesome, (college frat boy overexcitement voice and overblown gesture for emphasis) YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!"
...that you have to be careful as you type Shih Tzu, and even more careful in the proofreading.
...that Kid2 is on the front end of taking her shot at her dream. It's very surreal as a parent knowing that there's an "all-in" reality as it's happening. High-risk. High-reward. Oddly, I'm more concerned about the pitfalls of the high-reward than the downside of risk. The trappings of success always seem more dangerous to me than picking up the pieces. Is that wrong?
...that I should scan and post some photos of Kid2 for a proud dad alert soon.
...that I am teaching Lamentations in my Sunday School class for two weeks. It's the first time I've taught it publicly. Is it weird that I'm kind of excited about teaching Lamentations, of all things?
...that I need to get on with my day, man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home