Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Big Gap

According to the folks who track such things, of those who purchase music digitally (on line) breaks down this way:

Those 13-17 account for 15% of digital purchases.
Those 18-25 account for 21% of digital purchases.
Those 26-35 account for 27% of digital purchases.
Those 36-50 account for 32% of digital purchases.
And...
Those 51 or older account for 5% of digital purchases.

I'd be very interested to see what else breaks down into Internet usage and what they use it for.

The reason I'd be very interested is because my guess is that the older generation, particularly in churches, need to understand that folks coming into leadership roles have very different views about the Internet. I've used this example before, those in the older generation tend to use web for informative purposes. You know, like what time a service starts or a map to get there, or maybe a list of classes offered or a doctrinal statement.

Those younger tend to use it for active engagement purposes and/or view it as a community. For example, they want to sign up and pay for events on-line. Also, they want to interact with others in forums or chats or reading blogs/comments.

And, I think this study more or less supports that idea. I'm wondering what churches can do to keep both groups attuned to the information they want and the community/ease they desire. I mean, I know some churches that allow families to give financially on-line. I've seen baptisms of friends "live" when it happened across the country. I've heard sermons hours after they've been given. I know pastors who come into forums or set up chats to discuss the sermon or teaching. I've seen elders do the same thing.

For whatever reason, I think this is important to discuss...

...so have at it, patrons!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home