Friday, April 25, 2008

Convergence?

My issues with the "e"merging church have been well chronicled here at The Diner. I mean, I understand why the younger generation bolts (more on that in a second)...but that doesn't mean I like it or, in many cases, agree with them.

A great deal of my professional thoughts as of late have been in response to feedback we got at our church's "family matters" meeting two weeks ago. One major theme in the feedback involves the appearance that we're missing young couples and young adults--that an important demographic of our future doesn't seem to be visible, active or present all around our congregation. This is open to debate, of course, but there seemed to be plenty of questions about it so there has to be something to it.

Anyway, it's also been well-chronicled here at The Diner that management has been interested in promoting a "convergent congregation." You know, a healthy blend of the younger generation and older generation mixing and mingling and interacting against the current trends of having a great ministry program for "age/life-station." This might look like minichurch groups with all age ranges rather than say, an "empty nesters" minichurch. Or it might be having two sets of grandparents teaching an early childhood parenting class. Or maybe a retired guy discipling a teenager by working on cars together. Stuff like that.

Of course, this is where the idea of working on a doctorate comes into play. Seems like whenever I start talking like this, I get a nice smile from seminary professors or a polite phrase from elders or deacons or other staff that implies, "Well, it's nice to dream and it paints a lovely picture, but it's not likely to happen."

I'm fine with that.

Really. I am. This is why I'd like to pursue it and study it. They might all be right.

But you know what I find interesting?

The resistance comes from the older generation. I would've expected it to come from the "e"mergents wanting to break out and do their own thing and all that. It's what every generation tends to do in church circles. A lot of what you see as "industry standards" in today's churches were yesterday's battles faught by younger folks to do their own thing. But, nope. This comes from the old guard.

In the four years I've been bouncing this around, whenever I've brought it up to older generations I've gotten responses like:

"Look, you can do all that after we're dead, okay? (room laughs, but she was serious) We've put a lot of time and energy and money into this place over the years and it's just the way we like it. I don't want my retirement years at my church ruined by making a lot of changes."

Or...

"That's just not going to happen. It paints a pretty picture, but people get set in their ways. Older folks have raised their kids. We don't want to start raising others that aren't even ours. That's why we pay you, isn't it? Isn't it best we pay somebody who is gifted and talented to do that and do it well rather than busting our butts again?"

Or...

"We designed this ministry. We were the ones that implemented great, healthy programs when there was nothing here. This is my ministry, and now you want me to just step aside and let younger folks mess with something that doesn't need to be fixed? Listen, I'm not ready to be put out to pasture yet. They can wait their turn."

Yes.

I've had all those in one form or another.

And I just don't get it. I have to be honest, right?

We're in agreement, folks. What you've done for our church in every way has been appreciated more than you know. And, yes, we've seen your spiritual growth...in fact, truth be known, we aspire to many of your characteristics. We've paid attention not only to what you've said but how you've lived, and there isn't a lot of gap between the two. We've modeled our marriages and parenting and lifestyles after yours. There's much to love about not only your behavior, but also about you personally.

And how did you arrive at this life station?

You served using your gifts and talents and finances. And we were small enough then to NEED you all of that.
You worked hard at raising your kids and making your family your first ministry. And we were small enough then that the church was right there doing all that together.
You designed ministries based on needs of our church family. And since there wasn't anything, you got to be innovative and creative and take chances and everything else that's exciting about any type of startup.

And, you wonder why the "e"mergents seem to be missing from our midst? It's because all of those things that you were a part of don't seem to have room for the very things that cause spiritual growth and excitement and innovation. We have tried-and-true programs that we plug-and-play folks into when they walk into the door. The worship we like doesn't seem to have room for our younger membership. And, often, we don't have issues that drive us to our knees anymore. Like lack of funds. Or lack of servants. Or whatever it is.

And, I wonder what it's going to take to make us willing to change. Yes, "I" am part of the "us"--the generation that is currently middle-aged.

And that wonder is what I think the book might be made of.

But you can't write a book on the theoretical. You actually have to do it. Which is what excites me on about 100 levels.

Because I think it can be done. And done well. Which gives the "us" among us another chance to be innovative and creative and use our gifts and talents and money for the long-term future of our church.

I love our church.

I love what it's done for me and my family.

And I want the next generation to have the same blessings.

Oh, man. I can't wait to get to work today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home