Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Mom & Pop

I grew up seeing both sides of it.

My maternal grandfather worked his way up in a beast of a nationwide company. It started out as Tennessee Coal & Iron, and I don't even begin to understand all the details, but somehow he became a mildly important cog in the machine known as United States Steel...back when United States Steel was a major player in the business world. All I remember about that is that he had a magnificent retirement package and we could only drive cars made in the U.S.

My paternal grandfather owned his own business. Taxes. Sort of an H&R Block thing. I remember we'd go to his office building and my grandmother had artwork commissioned by me and my cousins framed and on her wall. We were serious about crayons and typing paper. He purchased tickets from the local minor league teams because he felt some civic pride/duty to do so and made sure to patronize the local restaurants around town. Me and my friends benefitted from that civic pride by spending a few nights in section NN, row 1, seats 1-4 of the old Rickwood Field before the minor league team went big time corporate.

Anyway, while I remember being as impressed as an 8-year-old can be by my maternal grandfather's name recognition (10 years later, I was able to drop his name long after he died and when people found out his grandson was waiting to get an insurance issue squared away--well, let's say that it was like knowing the secret password to Pee Wee's Playhouse and the doors opened right up. Problem solved.), I was always more impressed that my paternal grandfather could hang a "gone fishin'" sign on his door and do that very thing. Well, at least after tax season, which is when the fishin' was better. And, well, truth be told my grandmother (with only 4 functioning fingers total--a sheet metal incident, I think war-service related) could outfish him continually. And did. Eventually he took up puttering around the house and paying for the river cabin, and enjoyed us enjoying the fruits of his labor & river cabin.

I guess I'm telling you all this because I've always been a big fan of the entrepreneur. I'm drawn to the underdog...

...and I really enjoy it when you find that really good mom & pop kind of place where you know the owner and all that good stuff.

And I wanted to ask you your favorite mom & pop kind of places today.

For example, the story of Pete's Famous Hot Dogs in Birmingham, Alabama has been well-documented in this space. One guy & his wife (Gus & Kathy), one location, nearly 50 years. Best hot dog in the world.

Here in my little area we have a couple of places to eat that are "local" that I really like: The Texas Hamburger Factory and The Village Grill. I try to support both as frequently as possible.

There's also a dress boutique (I have daughters) called Bella Rosa that was started by a family in our church that seems to have a unique vibe to it and has been doing good stuff for a few years now.

So, today, in the spirit of the entrepreneur...

...what are your favorite "mom & pop" kind of places?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home