Thursday, October 27, 2005

Birmingham Chron, Day 5

More from the Magic City:

...My mom is feeling better physically. She was very busy yesterday. Got up and dressed by noon, which is a good sign these days.

...She went out to lunch, too. It didn't take too much out of her, but it's pretty slow going moving from the car to the counter to the table to the trash can to the car again. I found myself learning the art of patience when I'd be at the car and turn around, only to see her just exiting the restaurant.

...She wanted to go visit her Aunt Annie, too. She's in an assisted living facility, and a nice one at that. But what struck me was that even though her hearing was diminished, she's pretty sharp mentally at age 92. If she could've heard me, I was going to ask her the secret to that reality, but it was hard enough just getting the updates about family to and from each other.

...Then we got home and hung out a little bit. Just chatted. Until the doctor called and there was some sort of mix-up and now they WON'T be putting in the port (my mom has very bad veins) for the 2nd round of chemotherapy in the morning and they've rescheduled that for Monday. There's some discrepancy about when round 2 is going to be as well. I understand that doctors have emergencies and need to reschedule, but what I don't understand is poor communication. I never got that this was due to some unforseen emergency, but rather that there was a scheduling snafu. Of course, I personally asked the doctor 3 times on Monday about the events of Thursday, and now he's saying he had it all down for a week from Thursday. Hmmmm. It isn't really a big deal because my mom is feeling pretty good and will get a few more days of it and will get to go to church and all, but she was pretty mentally ready for today being the day. I think a lot of being a cancer patient is a mental toughness.

...Mobile phone service in my mom's house is peculiar. It's great in one room and non-existent in another. It's four bars in the middle of the driveway.

...We decided to go out to dinner. They chose The Bright Star. I've officially had enough of that restaurant to last another year. (See previous entry)

...We got home and watched re-runs of the Cosby Show. Sometimes I think my mom just likes having me in the same room. She went to bed right after that.

...Still gotta have one more serious business talk with mom before I leave. Not looking forward to that one.

...Does baseball have script writers? Red Sox last year. White Sox win their first since 1917 this year. What's next? Rangers vs. Cubs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home