Saturday, October 22, 2005

Alabama The Beautiful?

I'm flying stand-by, but it looks good that I'll arrive in God's Little Acre around lunchtime. The signs say, "Welcome to Alabama the Beautiful." That might apply to the coastal areas or even the foothills of the Appalachains...but maybe a more accurate reading would be, "Welcome to Alabama the Kinda Cute."

Of course, there are things that are really cool about it. Like...

...Birmingham is a city that looks like it got thrown into a forest. Real hills and trees.
...Milo's Hamburgers and Pete's Famous Hot Dogs.
...the way things shut down on Saturdays because of the passion for college football.
...the small town feel even though it's a pretty big city.
...I know where almost all the roads go. That's what makes it always feel like...

...home. No matter that it isn't my home anymore and I haven't lived there in a decade.

And that's why I'm going.

To go "home" and see my mom as she prepares for chemo, round 2. Sometimes, you just need to go home and see your mom.

I don't guess you ever really outgrow that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home