Sunday, October 23, 2005

Birmingham Chron, Day 1

Some random thoughts on my arrival in Birmingham:

...I feel like a really big shot when I get to travel in first class on an airplane. I like it when they call boarding for 1st class and you get to go first. I like it when they are giving out sodas and stuff in your cabin and not to the rest of the plane. I like it that the seats are bigger. I can't figure out why I enjoy that so much, but I do. The funny thing is that I'm the exact opposite of a big shot because I've got friends that can get that stuff done. On my own...well, I couldn't even afford "coach class." I feel like a "C-list" person leading an "A-list" life.

...I wasn't in town 20 minutes and I'd already run by Pete's Famous Hot Dogs (the greatest hot dog in the world--don't even try to argue that because respected national magazines have said so). I think I'm that predictable.

...All in all, my mom looks pretty good. She's really tired and nods off every now and again (but then again, so do I), but she's eating well and moving around pretty good, too. Her hair has fallen out from the chemo this time, but she's got some stylish headwear and a nice wig, too. I'm not sure what that does mentally to a female, though.

...I never really got into the college football games because I was still getting settled and all that jazz. Alabama got lucky as the other team fumbled on the goal line and Auburn got unlucky (or needs a new kicker).

...I find myself getting frustrated to no end when things that are supposed to work don't work and I can't figure out why they won't work. I brought my laptop to get some important work done and my wireless internet card will read my mom's wireless router but won't get the signal to allow for internet access. And, at one point, it worked when I gave up on wireless & connected directly to my laptop (which would've worked as well, just more inconvenient) but in trying to get the wireless to work I somehow got that goofed up, too. But what really gets to me is that I feel like I'm too stupid to get things up and running.

...The local newspaper can't hold a candle to The Dallas Morning News. The national & world news are non-existent for the most part and the sports page is incredibly parochial (the World Series was on a something called "Sports II" and a local golfer in a minor tournament got more coverage; and don't even get me started on the lack of hockey coverage) but their college football coverage is second to none.

...a "four-cup" coffee maker only makes 2 cups. Whoever designs those things must be drinking their coffee out of thimbles.

...Well, I gotta go see if I can get MY computer to work instead of using my mom's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home