Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Birmingham Chron, Day 4

More thoughts on my visit to see my mom:

...that Milo's Hamburgers is the most unappreciated chain hamburger stand going by the locals. They have no idea the greatness of the sauce, the fries, the tea, the onions and pickles, the whole deal. They SO take that place for granted. But, move to a place that doesn't have it and you'll want it every time you come back. It's like when we first moved to Texas and there was no Krispy Kreme. No other doughnut sufficed. No other hamburger suffices, either.

...that a lunch hour to visit my best friend from high school (blog commenter "Hal") was WAY too short. We were just getting to the good stories when he had to go back to work. I work in a job where a lengthy lunch can actually be part of that work, so the idea of exactly one hour for lunch just isn't enough for a good visit. Next time we'll have to do it on a Saturday or something...and I wish I could've taken him up on the offer to play disk golf this afternoon. That'd be enough time, I'd imagine.

...I took a short break to see "Elizabethtown." The movie hasn't gotten favorable reviews but I never really go by those anyway. I can see why the critics didn't like it: They'd seen Garden State. This movie is what happens whey Hollywood tries to re-create the magic of an indie film. I, however, related to it better than I did in Garden State. It involved the family from the South instead of New Jersey. I knew those people and understood where they were coming from. Plus, it explored the way a death affects the entire family rather than just one person...but then it went back to the one person. So, it was a bit unfocused. Great soundtrack, too. But I really related to Drew ("I'm fine") even if I couldn't stand Kirsten Dunst's character. I will say that the concept of the map/music she made will be another blog topic at some point. Rent it...it's a "thinker" movie.

...my mom's husband Will said that he's never heard my mom talk so much as he has this week. He said I've been good at engaging her in conversation and that she opens up to me a lot and that he appreciated me bringing up some of the topics we've talked about. I guess that's a good thing, but, frankly, a lot of that is selfish on my part. Business needs to get taken care of so there isn't spilt milk later. Plus, we've always been pretty good at communication. Had to happen when dad died so we've gotten pretty good at it.

...Sometimes it's a ton of fun to surprise someone with a birthday phone call they weren't expecting.

...I fell asleep at 9PM last night after mom went to bed. It takes me about three days to really get into a mode where work doesn't take a high priority. So, today would be the true start of a restful time away from work, but I have to go back tomorrow. Right after mom gets her chemo treatment. I'll finish my fourth book either today or on the plane tomorrow.

...I still don't know who won the World Series game last night, so I'd better go check (the local paper said to go to the web site as the game went past their print time--a WORLD SERIES game doesn't hold up their presses--wow).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home