Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Football Picks, Week #7

23-32-1.

I know what you're thinking, folks. That four consecutive losing weeks (and going 4-12 in the last two of them) has cost The Diner it's football-picking street cred. Well, just stating as a matter of fact that this is the craziest football season in 15 years--Ohio State and Boston College are at the top of the list as Rutgers knocked #2 South Florida (and the fact that USF could be ranked #2 only illustrates my point further) last night--I think I'm doing pretty darn well against the point spread.

At least that's what I tell myself to reassure myself of The Diner's football-picking street cred. I mean, I don't want to have to resort to my 10-2 high school picks or my 1-0 record of professional picks to do that, do I?

Anyway, on to this week's games, and you'll note the heavy slate of SEC games in the mix because, as we all know, it's currently the epicenter of the college football universe.

Auburn (+11.5) at L.S.U.: This really isn't that hard. If L.S.U. plays it's best game and Auburn plays it's best game, L.S.U. wins at home by two touchdowns. It's at night. It's in Baton Rouge. L.S.U. has better players at almost every skill position. The deal is that nusto things happen in this rivalry game. I think 11.5 point is a mistake by Vegas, man. Some years these two teams don't score 11.5 points COMBINED. It'll be close, but L.S.U. at home at night after a loss is too much to pass up. Diner Prediction: L.S.U. 21, Auburn 13.

Tennessee at Alabama (pick): So, giving 3 points to the home team means that folks think the Vols are a field goal better than Alabama. They demolished a Georgia team that beat Bama, but they did it in Neyland Stadium. The Bama home-field gets nasty and can keep Bama in games, but talent usually wins out. I think it will this week in a very close game. Diner Prediction: Tennessee 17, Alabama 14.

Florida at Kentucky (+6.5): Okay. Last week I kinda ho-hummed the Kentucky home field advantage and minimized their success this season. But you know what? I'm going to do it again. Kentucky isn't the 7th best team in the country, and Florida is in desperation mode. They have to win or they won't even get to the SEC championship game, and Kentucky--despite Rich Brooks' bewilderment at being the underdog--has little experience in games like this where they can knock out a powerhouse. Woodson is good and can torch the Gator secondary, but I don't think he will as Urban Meyer had a week off to get ready. Diner Prediction: Florida 31, Kentucky 21

U.S.C. at Notre Dame (+17.5): Ever think you'd see Notre Dame getting three scores at home in your lifetime? I can assure you I didn't growing up in the '70's. But has the luster ever fallen off this game, man. Notre Dame doesn't even have a quarterback (they're starting their third one this season tomorrow). U.S.C. will roll and cover. Diner Prediction: U.S.C. 35, Notre Dame 14.

Michigan State (+17.5) at Ohio State: The Buckeyes have been having to listen to the nation belittle their schedule and the downturn in Big 10 football this season and I think they'll start ramping up their game plans to win and win impressively each week until the Michigan game. The Spartans can always be fiesty, but I think the Buckeyes at home with a piont to prove will get after them. Diner Prediction: Ohio State 35, Michigan State 17.

Texas Tech (+3.5) at Missouri: This will be a track meet. Two impressive offenses running up and down the field with little resistance. It'll be like Arena League football without the goofy netting that affects kick-offs. It's really just a matter of who has the ball last and can they punch it in in the last 30 seconds if you ask me. Diner Prediction: Texas Tech 41, Missouri 35. (notice I think Tech will score on the last play of the game and won't need to kick the extra point?)

Oregon at Washington (+11): The only thing that can stop the Ducks, oddly enough, is if it rains in the Northwest. I love Ty Willingham as a coach (and if Tubberville leaves Auburn I think they need to give him a serious look), but he doesn't have the horses yet and I think Oregon is a better team than Arizona State, who throttled the Huskies last weekend. Diner Prediction: Oregon 31, Washington 17.

Miami (+5.5) at Florida State: This is another game that's lost luster over the years. It's heated still, but both teams aren't what they used to be. Having been to a game at Tallahassee, I have to say it's one of the coolest environments to watch a game at night so I hope I haven't overrated that advantage...but I think the Seminoles are better than Miami this year. At home, too. Diner Prediction: F.S.U. 24, Miami 17.

High School Pick:

Lewisville vs. Marcus: It's our little community's biggest rivalry game. Really, FMHS has tried to get in on all the action with the Mound Showdown and all, but Marcus still views LHS as the bigger game. Oddly, they chose this game, which will be played in front of 20,000 people at Texas Stadium, to be their Homecoming game. The Battle of the Axe is everything that's good about high school football in Texas and tonight's game will be a close one. Marcus just hasn't had a lot of things go well in rivalry games lately. Diner Prediction: Lewisville 21, Marcus 17.

*note: Flower Mound played last night, so there's no game to pick for our area schools.

Well, there they are folks. I really feel like this week is the rebound week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home