Monday, October 15, 2007

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that the folks at Starbucks may or may not be miffed that I take in some coffee beans from Ritual Coffee Shop (an organic, free trade blend popular and award-winning in SF) that was a gift from the Rudds, but I'm taking that chance.
...that with the exception of the last AL game, the baseball playoffs have been an absolute bore.
...that no one's aware of how many clocks are in their house until you have to reset them 6 times due to storms knocking out their power.
...someone from California once told me they'd take earthquakes over Texas thunderstorms. Not me, man. I enjoy thunderstorms. And, the general thunderstorm doesn't cause bridges to fall down.
...I got a new book idea. I wrote it down, thereby adding it to the list, which is always growing and never shrinking.
...my discussion with Kristen a few days ago has me wondering if my recoil against the nature and reality of "Christian" publishing keeps that list growing and never shrinking.
...I might finally go see "Across the Universe" tonight with Kid1 if I can talk her into it. She's pretty tired from a weekend at Pine Cove.
...if the rumors about one of my former students getting engaged over the weekend are true, the guy (who I don't really know yet) might be one of the wisest men I know in making a girl like that his choice, and making him one of the most blessed guys around that she'd accept his proposal.
...that getting back into the gym after a week off is one of those deals that you force yourself to get into the car and go, otherwise, you'll slack.
...I'll do that right after I finish the good book I'm reading.
...Auburn better find an offense. They'll need it this week against LSU.
...that the Cowboys better find a defense. They'll need one in the playoffs.
...that even though everybody has a "trick" (all of which I've tried), my left ear stays clogged after flying until it darn well wants to unclog. This could take an hour or a day. Most of the time it's about 6 hours.
...dogs are the best welcomers upon their owners' return home. Tired kids from a weekend at Pine Cove are glad you're home and hug you, but if they had tails, I'm not sure they'd wag.
...that my half-hearted search for my baby book last night turned up empty. My higher-order life-liver sister needs the information in it for a family tree project she wants to start, so I may ramp that search up a notch today.
...I don't know if it's because I'm used to it and all, but The Dallas Morning News is better than most every other newspaper I read. And I read a lot.
...that when you clean out the fridge, never...ever...forget to take out the trash before you leave for two days.
...the local high school coach's gamble on a fake extra point with under two minutes left in the rivalry game was the first coaching mistake in his 6 games as head coach. Of course, if it'd worked he'd be a genius. Everything else he's done has righted the ship with Marcus football, making the football team something the state champion band can be proud of.
...so far, so good on Steve Hixon's new sermon series in Psalms. It'll be interesting to see how our congregation responds to his challenge to write their own psalms. Bringing the arts into church life might be slow-going for a congregation that hasn't seen it much other than the music. It's a good discomfort, though, if you're asking.
...for those of you concerned about my recent "funk" and wondering if the vacation brought me out of it: The vacation was a nice respite, and magical at times, but it was more of an escape--like sports or drugs or gambling or movies or whatever--than a cure.
...you might could kayak in my back yard right now. Seriously.
...still wondering if I should shut down The Diner.
...politics could not be more of a bore to me right now, and usually I'm pretty into them. Stavesacre had a great line in one of their politically-charged songs: "What choices do we get? The lesser of two evils? Does such a creature still exist?" This describes, more or less, where I am at present in that realm.
...well, I'd better get on with my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home