Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Little Help?!

Okay.

Here's the deal:

It's called NaNoWriMo. It's short for National Novel Writer's Month. Some guys thought it would be fun to write a 50,000-word novel in a month. They knew it would be a challenge. They knew it wouldn't necessarily result in great writing. They knew that you could edit that writing later. The challenge was to simply write a novel.

79,000 signed up last year. 13,000 finished a novel. So it isn't a given. A little less than 1 in 5 finish.

Well.

A couple of things come to mind:

First, the books I have in my brain to write aren't fiction. They aren't novels. And I'm wondering if I committed to writing something else, would it fit the parameters?

Second, the folks who put all this together thought that it might be good for folks to have a support group...for accountability and encouragement and insight and proofreading and all that jazz.

What's crazy is that I'm thinking about doing this. Honestly, I can tell you that I'd be much more excited if I just worked on the two books that I've got rattling in my brain...

...but I'd be willing to help organize a FloMo-ish group (we could use our CBC coffee shop as a gathering place, or I could find another) if we got 10 folks to dive in. That number is non-negotiable. It's 10 or I'm not doing it. So, if we did this thing, we could expect 2 of us to finish a book if statistics hold to form. That would be worth it to me even if I wasn't one of those who finished. I like to think of it as my way of supporting that arts!

I already know that Retrophisch is in.

Bailey?
Mrs. Bowe? (I especially think that English teachers, especially AP English teachers, should play along)
Katherine? (Friends of Anne Lamott should be mandatory, if you ask me)

Anyone else?

Anyone?

Anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home