Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Car Is Not A Toy, Young Man

The last day of school in our community is tomorrow. It's a half-day deal, anyway. I mean, my kids have to have their lockers cleaned out today actually, with books turned in, even though there's a final tomorrow. Whatever.

It seems to me that on those half-day final days there's always one serious car wreck. I think it's two years in a row there's been a Medi-Flight Helicopter taking some newly summerfied teenager to get to a hospital more quickly for needed treatment.

So, a word of unsolicited advice:

Stick around for a few minutes. Say thanks to a teacher. Stop by and tell the coach how much you appreciated the extra hours. Sign a couple of yearbooks. Hug some friends. Sit in the parking lot with the trunk open and turn your music up loud until an administrator tells you to knock it off. Then knock it off, and thank them, too.

Just go slower. Smell the last roses of the school year.

Let the traffic clear out.

Then get in your car, put on your seatbelt, look both ways, check the mirrors, come to complete stops, obey the speed limit, obey the traffic laws...

...and get to your lunch
...or your swim party
...or your movie with friends
...or your celebration dinner with family

...but get to wherever it is that you're wanting to be safely.

I know.

I know.

I really do know that I sound old and no fun and blah blah blah.

I'm okay with that.

Just don't let the momentary rush that the end of the school year brings cause you to get a bout of stupid-head that keeps you from enjoying the day...even a fender-bender can ruin that.

I'm just tired of hearing helicopters and wondering if it might be for one of my CBC teenagers...or like last year when I drove by a mashed up car and caught myself wondering which teenger I knew drove a blue Mitsubishi...

So, you do your job and be young a fun and passionate and excited and all that. It's a great feeling to be done with finals and get a break. You guys work hard all year in a competitive district and you really should enjoy the rest & relaxation.

And let me do my job and share with you the parent side of the equation.

Then you do your job and tell me I sound old.

But take the advice.

I promise you that you won't regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home