Sunday, May 21, 2006

Regrets

I've heard people say that they live with no regrets. I heard it yesterday on a TV show. Some drama and over-actor said it.

And I don't think it's possible to avoid wishing you had some "do-overs." Don't get me wrong...I've learned a few things because of them and I've grown because of them, but I've still got a few I'll list here:

I wish I hadn't stopped taking guitar lessons when I was 13. It's a lot harder now having to learn from "Guitar for Dummies."

I wish I'd taken a better advantage of my university education. I mean, the whole point was to explore the condition of the universe and my place in it. I didn't start doing that until my senior year and it was one of the best years of my life.

I wish I'd been less fiscally responsible in buying Tracy's engagement ring, planning the wedding, and actually taking a honeymoon. We were broke and tried to be responsible. Seems there's some things worth celebrating and maybe making payments on, and that'd be one of them. I'd re-do the proposal while I was at it, too.

I wish I'd paid more attention to where the bleachers were and had less focus on the foul ball.

I wish I'd been more careful about some of the things to and about her when the break-up with my high school girlfriend finally took hold.

I wish I'd been a better student in high school. I wish I'd been less diligent as a student in seminary and paid more attention to my wife and kids.

I wish I'd learn to ignore my workaholic tendencies and when I was at home I'd actually be home with the people I love most and tend to treat the worst.

I wish I'd taken a class on basic car repair and maintenance after my dad died and before I got in the habit of paying somebody to do that.

I wish I'd not started this list...now I'm kinda bummed-out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home