Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Life Lesson Brought To You By The Boys In Bullets and Octane

Kelsey got the "x"'s on each hand signifying she can't buy a drink in the club. She'll fail to wash it off in the shower today and wear it as a badge of honor amongst her peers today.

She got the t-shirt.

The she chatted up the lead singer of the band. He was incredibly nice and polite and genuinely appreciative of her fan-club membership. There are pictures of which my still-sleeping daughter has on her camera. Yes, I'll post them once she e-mails them to me.

The sign out front said no "PROFESSIONAL Audio, Video or Photography allowed." Amateur web-sites to post such things were kinda encouraged...it's a new way to promote the bands and a faster, cheaper way to get publicity. I thought it was cool.

The band rattled the brick walls of the club. They are good at what they do.

My daughter moshed in the front row. The lead singer, who had at this point become this raging party rock band front man instead of polite appreciative rock band front man, noticed my daughter singing every word and let her sing the next line of a song into his microphone. She held her own in the mosh pit. I gotta say I was kinda proud. I also gotta say I was kinda keeping an eye on her as some of those boys were pretty big and serious about it...it wasn't a suburban teen Christian concert polite mosh, that's for sure. He smiled for all the front row cell-phone photos, too. It's a new concert thing I'm sure.

On the way home, my daughter puts in the CD of the music we just heard and as each song started, she said, "This song sounded so good live." I told her she'd said that five times already. She was undeterred...the rest of the songs sounded "so good live," too.

We got in at one in the morning.

I'm glad my kid likes the rock and roll scene...the standing in line outside, putting on the wrist band, buying the t-shirt, listening to the music they play while waiting (and saying "Good song!" when a good one was played), cheering when the lights go out and the band takes the stage, singing along with your favorite songs full-throated, chanting for an encore, leaving with your ears having that slight ring in them, and saying, "Wow, that was so worth it." on the way out.

The reason I'm glad my kid likes the scene: It's so...well...

...ALIVE.

...even if you don't "get it," you're glad your kid "gets it" because it just might be that's the way it's supposed to be as one generation doesn't "get" the other's taste in music. You're glad she got to feel...so...well...

...ALIVE.

And, truth be told, seeing your kid feel...so....well...

...ALIVE

makes you feel a little more...well...

...ALIVE.

And you come out feeling like you've lived a little better that day than you did at school or work.

We all could use more of that in the various ways we each do that.

Even a 40-year-old suburban father of two and minivan owner can see that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home