Saturday, December 17, 2005

iPod vs. iWorld

I overheard an older person talking about how they couldn't stand how "kids today" have those "white wires" coming out of their ears. "Don't they know there's a whole world they could be interacting with and enjoying instead of just listening to their iPods the whole time?"

I let them ramble. It's pretty much useless to try to argue the point. Generations have been picking at each other since time began. They're all variations of "back in my day, blah blah blah," and nobody's really discussing anything...just griping.

Anyway, I got to thinking about that.

Half the time, that "whole world" out there I'd rather NOT deal with. Don't get me wrong. I generally don't mind friendliness or making small talk or meeting new people. Interacting with some teenager while she's ringing up my groceries or a salesclerk trying to help me asking me about the weather while we're searching is just good manners. Doesn't accomplish much, but it's not so bad, either.

But I could do without a COMPLETE stranger looking over my shoulder when I'm browsing CD's saying, "That band's 2nd CD is not nearly as good as their first one."

Or some random businessman next to me on a plane rambling on about how his widgets are going to overhaul society and get him that new pool in the backyard his family's been wanting.

Or that mom prattling on her mobile phone about which movie to bring home or which type of milk in the latte her husband wants while I'm trying to read--even if it's a publc place, I might expect less rudeness around me--is something I could do without.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it's like anything else: If I want to use my iPod as a space bubble then I will, but I should also be polite and interact in social situations, too. It's give and take. But a blanket "these kids today..." mindset is pretty polyanna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home