Friday, December 16, 2005

Is "Antipomp" A Word?

My friend Steve-O is graduating today.

From university.

Today at 10AM from D.B.U.

It's a big deal.

And, due to work responsibilities, I won't be there to celebrate this great achievement with him...

...or his family, who have at allowed me to be a part of their lives over the last decade. I guess you could say that I'm the "Cousin It" of the Davis clan.

I'd like to be there, in large part because I'd like to see how Steve-O deals with the pomp and circumstance of it all. He's not much of a pomp and circumstance kind of guy.

But, you know what?

Some things are worthy of pomp and circumstance. This is one of them. So, Steve-O, you didn't ask for any advice, but I'm giving you some: Enjoy the pomp. You've earned it, my friend. Let people make a fuss about you and be absolutely smitten with you. You won't regret it and they genuinely want to do it.

So, Bob & Sue, enjoy making a fuss and pomping all over Steve-O and being smitten with him. It's one of the truly excellent parts of the parenting gig, I'd imagine.

And one of the great parts of the friend gig is that you get to celebrate with friends who are celebrating...even if it isn't in person, it's certainly in spirit.

So, congratulations Steve-O. Congratulations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home