Sunday, July 31, 2005

Hitched

Yesterday, I performed a wedding ceremony. She was beautiful. He wrote a song for their first dance. And so it goes.

The kicker on this one was that she's 18. Years old. He's 22 and graduated from college...but she graduated high school a year early (and started a year early) so she's been in the college environment for two years. I guess when you're not legal to drink alcohol people tend to wonder if you're "too young." Well, she is technically legal to drink alcohol within eyesight of her husband as he offically qualifies as her "legal guardian." Needless to say, there were a lot of jokes by bridesmaids and groomsmen over that little bit of information.

But, too young? It crossed my mind, too.

Since I do pre-marital counseling with the couples I perform ceremonies for I get to ask the hard questions and all that, and you know what I'm finding? That Christian teenagers are so much more savvy these days about their spiritual growth, their inisght into themselves and others, as well as realistic about other options that are available. In other words, they have their heads on straight about most aspects of their lives.

They certainly have their heads on straight at 18 much more so than I did even at 22. So, to everyone who asked: Yep. They're ready to do this and fully understand what they're getting into.

And, yep. She looked beautiful and happy and enjoyed all that comes along with being the bride. He looked sharp and cut up with his friends and enjoyed all that comes along with being the groom.

So, Godspeed Christy and Joshua. You both chose very wisely...but I hope you took some ID to Puerta Villarta, Christy...just in case you want some champagne to celebrate. Something tells me that even though the drinking age there is 16, you're still gonna need it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home