Saturday, July 23, 2005

Open Note To The Telemarketer Who Just Called My House at 8AM on a Saturday Morning

You called at 8AM on a Saturday morning. My wife was sleeping in after a long week, which, as I understand it, is a relatively normal occurrence on a Saturday morning for many Americans. Our kids were gone on an overnighter with their church student ministry, and I was enjoying time alone. What can I say? I'm an early riser.

Anyway, when you started off by telling me how much you could save me on my house payment each month, I was polite: "Sir, you've phoned my home at 8AM which is illegal in the state of Texas as I understand it, so could you please remove me from whatever list you have me on?"

When you responded, "Well, actually we've been trying to call you all week because we believe you can benefit from the financial services we provide..."

Well, what you need to know is that we've been screening your calls all week because of the minor miracle that is "Caller I.D." The only reason I answered it this time was to stop the phone from ringing. So, I'll admit I was getting a bit testy when I said, "Your convenience is of no concern to me when you're offering me a service I didn't ask for."

At that point, the smart move is on saying, "I'm sorry to have disturbed you sir, and I'll remove you from our list." You didn't even have to be sorry and you could've pretended to remove me from your list. All you had to do was say it. But, no, you had to continue. "I really believe you'll be glad I called when you hear what we can do for you..."

Is it a bad Christian witness to say, "No offense, but this phone call is over," and then hang up?

I guess it's too late to worry about it now because that's what I did.

Frankly, I'm not sorry I did it, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home