Saturday, July 30, 2005

I'm Not So Sure...

In the local neighborhood bi-weekly newspaper, a kid who had a great high school career was drafted by a major league baseball team. He signed a contract with them. For some reason, the amount of his signing bonus was in the headline. How about "Local Kid Gets To Live The Dream" or something like that? Not "Local Kid Makes A Quarter-Mil To Throw Ball." Sure, it's news. Print it in the article if you like. But why does the paper think that's what we want to know about most? Or, even more concerning, is it what we want to know about most?

I also found out this week that there is a Christian ministry "headhunter." You know, in businesses how they have guys who recruit other businessmen who are good at what they do and try to help them land jobs with companies looking for businessmen who are good at what they do? Well, apparently, they have those for ministry, too. That didn't sit well with me, either, for some reason...and I can't imagine this guy is the only one doing that kind of work. Of course, I should probably be concerned that I am only finding out these guys exist after 17 years of doing this instead of not giving them a reason to call me over 17 years, but it still seems strange a job like that exists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home