Friday, September 03, 2004

Having So Much Fun I'll Need Plastic Surgery To Remove The Smile From My Face

I had coffee last night with a student of mine. She's going to do great things for the Kingdom one of these days. I just feel it in my bones. Existential, I know. Subjective, I know. (I could translate those evil terms into Christianese if it would make some of you feel better. Just let me know and I'll use terms like "God leading me") But it was real enough to make it worth spending 8 bucks in the local corporate coffee house.

Her friends will do some great things, too.

I won't embarrass her by putting her name out there. She doesn't need that kind of pressure. She's still young. But gifted. And talented. And in a great position to be salt and light in an arena that is always short of salt and light. It will be interesting to see what God does in and through her in the next year and a half.

Her friends are in the same boat, too. It will be interesting to see what God does in and through them in the next year and a half.

So, let me retrace this a bit: I spend time with gifted and talented and creative people. They tell me what God is doing in their lives. I listen. I encourage. I get to serve them so they can develop those gifts and talents. And here's the kicker: I get paid for this.

Explain to me again why people don't understand why I absolutely love my place in God's economy. Explain to me again how me being a senior pastor and listening to grown ups drone on would actually be seen as a promotion in the eyes of others.

I have a dream job.

And don't even think of trying to offer me a job in corporate USA, either. Trust me, you don't have enough money to get me out of this gig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home