Thursday, August 26, 2004

Using Your Powers For Good And Not Evil

"Little did I realize how much a pastor defines the culture of a church and how that culture would altar my life and the lives of so many others...Some pastors, priests, evangelists and reverends have little clue how deeply of an impact they have on the lives of those in their congregations."--Matthew Paul Turner in The Christian Culture Survival Guide.

I saw it last night at my alleged "small" group (can 26 people constitute a small group?)Bible study. My seniors were used to it, but the incoming juniors, who only know me from Sunday School class, all had a bewildered look on their faces.

It's the annual barrage of paperwork for my study that kicks off the year. The one full of charts and graphs and outlines. It isn't for show. It's my expectation that these guys will ratchet up the disciplines that are needed for spiritual growth. They sensed this new level of expectation and it showed.

And, I knew it was coming. I've seen it before. It amuses me, too.

But sometimes I forget that level of influence I've been entrusted with. I'm glad I was reminded of it before I got too far into this deal.

P.S. I love those moments when somebody puts into words exactly what I've been thinking. I only wish I could put my thoughts into words in anything other than short blog bursts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home