Sunday, August 22, 2004

Everybody's Good Enough For Some Change

One sure sign that school is back in session in these parts is that various school groups have fundraisers for their particular interests. One very popular one is working at "car hops" at the local Sonic Drive-In for tips.

Yesterday as I was grabbing some lunch and paying with the debit card I realized that they can't put a tip on the card at this particular establishment. I'm not sure why exactly, but they can't.

So when the teenager took the card to go swipe it for my payment I went into a mad scramble to find some change in my van and after raking the various places change can wind up in a van I was able to scrounge $1.35. That seemed like a reasonable donation to the Marcus Marquettes (for the uninitiated, in Texas, each high school band has a group of girls who can kick really high with precision who generally wear glittery cowboy hats and modified cowboy boots and short skirts who get a few minutes during the halftime show to kick with flair) even though I was unsure exactly why they needed the money. But I'll trust them on this one and joyfully take part in my purchase of say, a container of glitter, to make halftime a happier place.

But on the way home I got to thinking about how much money gets sorta "thrown away" because we don't like change in our pockets. I'd wonder how much extra cash we'd have if we made a concentrated effort to actually use our change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home