Monday, August 16, 2004

A Change In The Routine

Ever since my daughters were infants, Saturday breakfast was primary for Dad/daughter interaction. We would get up early. I'd get them ready. We'd go to breakfast even if they were in baby seats. I'd heard somewhere that if you get them in that habit when they're young and make it a priority, they'd just look forward to Saturdays as time with Dad...even when they're teenagers and need it more.

We had to change that, though. Saturdays had become pressed. Sometimes I would be away on a weekend reatreat. Other times ballet lessons interfered, or softball, or art, or weekend sleepovers. When they're teens or pre-teens, they've got their own things workin'.

Well, we decided that my day off and our community's staggered school starts (elementary starts 45 minutes before mid-school, mid-school starts 45 minutes before high school) made for pre-school breakfast dates.

I could take Shelby to coffee and conversation, drop her off at school, pick up Kelsey and do more coffee and conversation then drop her off at school.

Sure, it's tough to get up even earlier after a full-blown Sunday workday. Yes, the Bible study/newspaper reading/slow entry to the day had to be rearranged. Yes, blogging on Mondays will get pushed back to mid-morning. Yes, like the rest of the world, I generally loathe change. And especially change to my 8 year routine.

But coffee and conversation with those two girls might be the most enjoyable change I've ever had if this morning's chats are any indication. And no, I can't tell you details about those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home