Sunday, August 15, 2004

It's 10:00 A.M. Do You Really Want To Have This Conversation?

About an hour after I blogged yesterday about the importance of building relationships in sharing your faith, this happens.

A fifty-something tie-clad man knocks on my front door. He's with a 30-something tie-clad assistant. Both have a briefcase. Since they look harmless and they saw me peek through the blinds, I opened the door.

The older man introduces both of them and he tells me he's from a Bible education center and wanted to know if I've given any thought to a "one-world government" in light of "current world events."

Since this very thing, the "cold call" approach to evangelism, was at the forefront of my mind I didn't feel it would be best to invite them in at that point as I'd likely do more harm that good for The Kingdom. I was polite, though, and told him I was spending time with my family and wasn't really interested in having that discussion at the moment.

He was polite, too. He thanked me and told me to have a good day. They left and knocked on all the other doors in my neighborhood.

Here's why his approach (and the other cold-call approaches) doesn't cut it with me: Me and my daughter were in the midst of wrestling for a good spot on the couch. If she got one, my feet were all over her, to which she would become dead weight on me, to which I would force her off me...suffice to say it was escalating one-upsmanship by both parties. My wife was playfully telling us to knock it off because she couldn't hear the announcer talking about the women's soccer game or upcoming fencing event in the Olympics. The dog was concerned and confused and beginning to growl his way into things.

Knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock.

All eyes to the front door.

Game over. Fun over. We tried to pick it back up but the moment was gone. We then focused on Mia Hamm and her friends as they tried to teach the Brazillians a thing or two about soccer.

My point is this: What kind of person genuinely believes that Joe Average guy home for on his weekend who is still in the middle of his coffee and newspaper or mowing his yard or on his way to little league wants to have a deep discussion on world politics and prophecy at 10AM on a Saturday?

Note to the Christian tribe: Cease and desist of all similar activities. Immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home