Thursday, September 02, 2004

It's New Technology, Therefore I Fear It, So Help Me Out, Okay?

Those of you who know me know that I loathe new technologies. I gripe and complain about cell phones and palm pilots and computers and electric windows in cars...life would've been fine by me if we were all doing the Abe Lincoln thing with candles, books, journals and walking to school every day. Then, somebody shows me how to use Excel and I grudgingly hop on trends about 3 years after they come out.

Anyway, since I work with teenagers and they go swimming in all types of gadgetry and live in an area that can afford the latest things I've had to keep up with it all if for no other reason than to be able to understand what they're talking about.

One conversation was all about how much time they spend on-line, pretty much out of boredom. My generation wasted time by watching MTV. They waste it by instant messaging each other and surfing The Net. No judgment there, just reality. Teenagers "waste" time.

Well, I wish I had one of those pithy sayings ready like "If you got time to lean, you got time to clean." Except something along the lines of "If you've got time to surf, you've got time to..." Insert something to do with having a devotional Bible study there.

Anyway, I thought it might be cool for them to enhance our Sunday School Bible study with a daily devotional. Complete with prompts for those that write journals and all that. So, I made them a blog. It's called "Peripatetics", which loosely translates to "a study of walking."

What I'd like from those readers who are former students of mine (or if you're a parent of my students or if you think the teens in your youth group would do this stuff, etc.) to look this over and give me some feedback...not necessarily on content or blogskin stuff (that will get better)...but on the idea itself and ways to improve it.

So, comment on this blog with input on that blog...does that make sense? I guess I need more techno-savvy eyes to look at this and tell me if I'm actually on the front end of some sort of creative use of technology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home