Monday, August 09, 2004

Time to Think

There are some days I wake up and can't believe that I get to teach the Bible to teenagers. I'm still having as much fun as ever in my "work." I'd imagine you'd have to ask my teenagers if this fun I'm having it translating into effectiveness, but I'd like to think it does.

Anyway, we started doing something at the end of the class that I think should be implemented across the board in churches all over the world (how's that for presumptuous?): We end each Sunday School class with three minutes of silence to allow them to think about what they just heard, and encourage them to pray through specific ways God wants to sharpen them.

I wanted to start doing this because I noticed that at our church, when the senior pastor gives a great message and closes in prayer or with a song, there's an immediate "see you next week" thing and then everybody gets up and starts talking about where they're going to eat or if they're going back to college this weekend or if they want to get coffee at the local coffee shop or whatever.

Seems to me that something so simple as giving people time to think will affect spiritual growth. I'm thinking about putting a planned time of silence before Sunday School, too...

Again, you'd have to ask the teens about effectiveness. But I can't explain this burst of enthusiasm for my "work." It almost bothers me to be taking my day off today, but I will and I'm going to see Napoleon Dynamite as I've heard it's incredible. After my nap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home