Thursday, August 05, 2004

Surprise Visit

Yesterday I got a phone call from Tracy telling me that the fine folks at Rearview Windowwere coming for dinner. We always enjoy a good visit from my favorite pierced and tatooed neo-hippie and her former occupant of the guest room husband. This time, in addition to the expected toddler in tow, we also got their new dog Corky. More on him in a minute.

Baby Judah continues to grow by the minute. She paraded around with the phone and put on some grown up sandals and tried to feed the dogs some sort of "o's." There was debate over whether or not they were Cheerios, or Honey Nut O's or Healthy O's but there could be no doubt that they were O's of some type. What was really funny about that was Judah knew she wasn't supposed to feed the dogs these random O's, because when she did she made a guilty/sad face, which made those in charge of discipline laugh and look away...which made me laugh because I didn't care at all if the dogs got the O's. It's so much fun having a toddler in your house who isn't yours. I mean, having your own is fun, but it's that fun without responsibility that I like. Naturally, when we were going to get a picture, she ceased cute activity.

Over dinner, one highlight of discussion was the possibility of getting Kristen and my old college roommate and blog commenter Hollywood together in the same room. The potential fireworks would be akin to Rush Limbaugh and Al Franken in the same room. Hollywood has size, but Kristen is really scrappy...and I don't think I have furniture or walls strong enough to weather that storm.

Joshua and Tracy began some business card project. Watching two artists try to make decisions on what photo to put on the business card was like feeling you have two correct answers to choose from on some multiple choice test, and you bubble in "A," erase it, then bubble in "C." Repeat process 6 times. Settle on one without full enthusiasm...kind of like agreeing to disagree. But I think that process is what brings out great art, so I amused myself by watching that process.

Corky, their male poodle, which automatically gives him female characteristics. Lloyd, the apprentice to the greatest of all dogs and proprietor of all dog duties at our home (he has much to overcome as he's dumb as a stick), found himself attracted to Corky's female characteristics. What can I say, he's got the hormones of a teenager. It was our own version of the twist in that movie The Crying Game from a few years back. Equally as disturbing, too.

There are few better surprises than getting to hang out with people you love and respect and enjoy on a weeknight. Lots of laughs. Lots of fun. Nice surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home