Saturday, February 09, 2008

Alarmed

Most of you know I'm a morning person. I get up early. I like it.

The exact time varies. Depends on if I'll be working out, or have a meeting, or if it's a weekend. No two days in a row are exactly the same time.

For the last three days it's been 4:45AM, 5AM and today was 6AM.

For the last three days I woke up at 4:44AM, 4:59AM and 5:59AM.

No alarm. Just had my eyes pop open, roll over, look at the clock and say, "Cool. I'm awake before the annoying beeps." Then turn off the clock before those imminent beeps fully realize. When that happens, I roll over, smack the button and say, "Ugh. Gotta get up. I'm kinda tired."

My day just started better the last three days.

This reminded me of something the Smokin' Hot Shutterbug Trophy Wife and I decided to do early on in childraising: Wake them up gently, with little kisses and stroking their hair...and make the morning as pleasant as possible. No rushing around (which meant preparing the night before, mostly just before bedtime as part of the winding down process) to get last-minute minutiae squared away, no harassment about chores left undone, no jumping on them about them not letting us know something until the last minute...

...just choose to be pleasant. Not full-throttle fun or joy. It doesn't all have to be Fatboy Slim in the AM. Just relaxed and pleasant. Like maybe R.E.M. or the Talking Heads. I mean, why saddle their teacher with a child's grumpiness that we instigated anyway? A kiss and an "I love you" and a "have a good day at school" (which, as they got older morphed into "please come home smarter than you are because I like to see the results of my tax dollars in tangible ways"--which they never thought was funny but I sure did, 185 times a year).

Seems the world beats on us all the time. And home is the place that should be a haven rather than a continuation.

Waking up before the alarm reminded me of that.

And I'm glad to be reminded of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home