Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Funny?

I like movies.

I like writing.

So, why not write a movie?

At least that was the idea. So I did what anybody who knows nothing about a particular subject and wants to learn about that subject would do: I got a book. One from the teacher of big-time screenwriters. I read it. Cover to cover.

And I discovered that I no longer have a desire or have the ability to write a movie. See, movies depend on ideas to be communicated visually about 80% of the time. They actually write movies without dialogue and add only the necessary words later. Since the medium I communicate best in (which, in no way means I'm good at it) is writing and words are used 100% of the time...I might want to find another hobby.

Anyway, I ran across this little piece of gold when McKee talked about what goes on behind writing a good comedy:

"When we peek behind the grinning mask of comic cynicism, we find a frustrated idealist. The comic sensibility wants the world to be perfect, but when it looks around, it finds greed, corruption, lunacy...These angry idealists, however, know that if they lecture the world about what a rotten place it is, no one will listen. But, if they trivialize the exalted, pull the trousers down on snobbery, if they expose society for its tyranny, folly, and greed, and get people to laugh, then maybe things will change. Or balance. So God bless comedy writers!...

The dramatist is fascinated by the inner life, the passions and sins, madness and dreams of the human heart. But not the comedy writer. He fixes on the social life--the idiocy, arrogance and brutality in society. The comedy writer singles out the particular institution that he feels has become encrusted with hypocrisy and folly, then goes on the attack."


And this got me to thinking about comparisons to ministry...

I mean, I think that pastors tend to be idealists. I am. I want the world to be perfect but focus on all the bad stuff.

Then he implied that comedy writers are "angry" about this. You know, I get angry about those things.

And I do like to expose these things...and I often use humor to do it.

And I do want things to change. I think it'd make me happy if there was even a balance.

And I do focus on the social outworkings of these realities a lot. You know, how our actions affect relational aspects of our lives...you know, like our ability to influence society, particularly when were so influenced by the very society we're trying to change...or at least have balance.

And, sometimes I use my platforms to "go on the attack."

So, I think I relate to the comedy screenwriters more than the drama creator. Even if I'm never going to write a screenplay as one of my platforms.

But all this does have me thinking about what I might want to use The Diner platform even moreso to go on the "attack." Like I've said before...

...I must be well rested these days...

And reading Jeremiah more these days...

Because I'm getting that Stavasacresque mindset again: "I'm crawling out of my skin/I hope I get under yours." I think I like the change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home