Wednesday, January 30, 2008

And, On The Lighter Side...

In the church cafe I overheard a couple of high school guys discussing which particular high school girl they intended to ask out for a date. They threw out a name an discussed the various pros and cons.

Two days later I was waiting for a table at a restaurant and overheard a couple of guys my age discussing which television starlet they would want to...well...to put it politely...ask out on a date. Actually, that isn't politely at all. It's an outright disguise of the actual conversation but they threw out names and discussed the various pros and cons.

So, my brain threw out a hybrid question: If you were back in high school, which television show high school girl would you try to ask out on a date? Knowing my proclivities for failure in this arena I decided to give myself the top-5 options.

Here they are, in order:

Honorable Mention: Denise Huckstable from The Cosby Show, although I don't think I could've put up with her flightiness for long. I would've liked to have hung out with her family a lot, however. Joe (Joanne) Polniaczek, from The Facts of Life. Sure, most guys had a thing for Blair, but I always liked the smarter, tougher private schooled girl.

5) Andrea Zuckerman, from Beverly Hills, 90210: Sure, most of the guys would've been drawn to bad-girl Brenda Walsh or the flashy Kelly Taylor...but there's no way I could've put up with Brenda's selfishness, and anybody that had dated the shallow Steve Sanders would've been crossed off my list. Nope. Give me the girl with glasses who lived outside the school district and snuck in because of the high-level education played by Gabrielle Carteris. She was editor of the school paper, too.

4) Angela Chase, from My So-Called Life: Claire Danes played the girl that Bryan Krakow had a crush on, but she was busy crushing the dangerous and mysterious Jordan Catalano (played by Jared Leto). I would've dug it that she dyed her hair fire engine red and wore her dad's flannel shirts and Doc Martens. The fact that she wrote in journals and was moody and aspired to be a writer would've been high on my list.

3) Joey (Josephine) Potter, from Dawson's Creek: She made great grades. She was above the high school social scene of the day. She worked after school at Dawson's parent's restaurant. She wanted to go to France to study poetry. And she sometimes rowed a boat down the creek to hang out with friends. She had great eyes and loved to watch movies with Dawson. She really weirded me out later in the show when she got involved in the Dawson/Pacey triangle (I still wish she'd wound up with Dawson instead of Pacey at the end of the series) and Katie Holmes has lost some of her luster with the whole marriage to Tom Cruise, but on the show she was pretty great.

2) Winnie (Winnifred) Cooper, from The Wonder Years: Danica McKeller played the truly All-American girl next-door. Kevin Arnold kissed her on the swing set in middle school and they carried out their relationship in an "on again/off again" fashion throughout the show. But she was the ideal, and I think every guy has their Winnie Cooper--the girl they dug but shouldn't marry. I mean, on the show, Kevin didn't--shouldn't & couldn't-marry her...but stayed friends with her. She had big dreams, wanted out of their small town, and was very smart. And cute, too. I also like it that Danica didn't have a "child star" freak out. She graduated from UCLA as a math major and even has a theorem named after her.

1) Marsha Brady, from The Brady Bunch: Ok. It's cliche...like saying the best "Track 1" on a CD is Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." But, like the song, there's a reason it's a cliche, man. I didn't catch the Brady Bunch on it's regular run, but more on cable in my formative years, but I had friends that would run home from school to catch the 3:30PM rerun. Entirely to watch Marsha. She went out for cheerleader. She was involved in everything at school. She had great hair. She beat Greg in the driving competition. She got that Monkee to play the school dance. Even when she got hit in the nose with the football Peter threw she still looked fabulous. Maureen McCormick played the ultimate...and I don't know if there will ever be one better.

Okay, so, guys...who would be on your list.

And, ladies...help me out with who you'd put on your list for television high school guys you'd have wanted to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home