Friday, January 11, 2008

A Few Thoughts On Jeremiah

I asked Diner patrons if they'd want to walk along as I think through some things regarding my current study of the book of the Bible called Jeremiah. Those that responded said they'd actually like that...so here we go. I don't know that it's the goal of these installments to provide answers or insight as much as it is to "think out loud." So, maybe we can just pour the coffee and chat, okay?

Early on in the study it became apparent that one of the major themes is "sin" and the reality that God seems to take a serious view of it. A few thoughts:

"Sin" (Greek = hamartano)
1) to be without a share in
2) to miss the mark
3) to err, be mistaken
4) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and
honour, to do or go wrong
5) to wander from the law of God, violate God's law, sin

"Sin" (Hebrew = chata')
1) to miss the mark
1c3) to bring into guilt or condemnation or punishment
1d1) to miss oneself, lose oneself, wander from the way

I think absolutes exist. In other words, if we "miss the mark," there's an implication that there's a mark to hit. A truth that is "right" and to wander away from that is, by implication, "wrong."

I think like the "1d1" definition regarding sin, that there's a "way" to go and to deviate from that--wander away-- is somehow tied to your identity as a human being. That we "miss" or "lose" our very selves. My guess is that we're created in the image of God Himself, and to wander away from that...or get lost...is actually a denial of who we are and what we're about.

I think that most followers of God have no idea who they are and what they're about.

I think that most followers of God, if they knew who they are and what they're about (and, in order to get that we would have to know God and what He's about) would take sin a great deal more seriously than we do. I mean, in an American context the idea of holiness is much like that scene in The Simpsons where Bart asked Homer what religion they were and he said, "You know that one with all the good ideas that don't work out in real life? What is that one? Oh, yeah, Christianity, that's it!" We have ideals and understandings of what a person of integrity is (particularly when it comes to the idea of a follower of Christ and pursuing holiness) and then it goes right out the window when the rubber meets the road.

I think that Christians tend to blur the line between what sin is and isn't. For example, drunkenness is sin. Consumption of alcohol isn't.

I think that few American Christians could "lovingly confront" another believer because there's a trend towards saying, "Don't judge me." Or, that "you don't have a right to judge me." Ahem. Well...ummm...yes we do. We should, in Francis Schaeffer's words, speak boldly and with authority where the Bible speaks boldly and with authority and shut up about the rest. Most times, we don't know what to actually shut up about and fight all these battles in what we generically lump into a "grey area" category. The good Dr. Schaeffer wouldn't say "shut up" so that's my own paraphrase. Then again, he might.

I think the idea of church discipline in American culture is nearly impossible to perform. Folks could simply go to the really good church 3 miles away and not have to sit in front of the elders of the church wanting to perform said discipline.

I think American Christians tend to want to apply "sin" to the general culture. So, for example, we might say that sexual activity outside marriage is sin...the Bible is actually pretty clear on that. But, for some reason, we're naive in thinking that this standard, and myriads like it, should apply to those outside our Tribe. It's not really fair to expect them to abide by realities that they aren't a part of.

I think I'm pretty good at spotting where others have wandered off the path. I think I'm pretty lousy at noticing when I do. Or, when I do, I have a pretty good explanation as to why I'm taking my own little field trip "over there."

I think that's enough for now.

Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud here, folks. Please understand that. I don't profess to be all that wise or observant...it's just that these are where my thoughts went today.

Have at it, patrons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home