Friday, December 21, 2007

No Fun?

I don't dance. I haven't even attempted since Reagan was in the White House, and, as best I can discern I have two dances left in my lifetime. Four if I dance with Tracy should both my daughters get married.

I don't golf. I don't have an extra $2,000 a year lying around. If I did, I don't think I have 120 hours of free time to do it.

Ditto on hunting.
Ditto on fishing.
Ditto on camping.

I don't like shopping. I don't mind going to a particular place to buy what I need to buy, but if it isn't a bookstore or a music store and I'm not killing time until the next thing I'd rather be doing, then I don't browse.

In the last month, I've had conversations where people were extolling their enjoyment of those very activities. When they excitedly asked me things like...

"I can't wait for the reception! Don't you just want to dance all night long and have fun?"
"Don't you think golf is a great way to relax and have fun?"
"Isn't hunting/fishing/camping fun?"
"Don't you just love how much fun Christmas shopping is?"

I've replied with...

"I'm not much into dancing."
"I really have a tough time finding time to golf."
"Sitting in the Great Outdoors isn't my cup of tea. Camping to me is when the cable goes out."
"I struggle with Christmas shopping, man. After about 30 seconds I get overwhelmed with choices and crowds."

I've basically been told: "Well, you're no FUN." Usually, it's with a playful, but poignant, condescending tone.

Maybe I should just play along and be polite in those moments.

But I like to do other fun things...that I think are socially acceptable.

I like to hear really good live music. And I have a fondness for really good live theatre. And going to see stand-up comics.
I like to spend time with my family doing pretty much anything...even "shopping." They shop. I sherpa the packages and make jokes. It works.
I like to attend any major sporting event...from college football to hockey games to baseball games. Oh, yeah. I enjoy snow skiing and inner tubing behind a ski boat on a lake.
I like to read. I like to write.

And, to me, those things are FUN.

But I want to remind everybody out there that we're all God's little snowflakes, okay? And let's try to enjoy the differences, shall we?

I mean...

...well...

...you know what I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home