Friday, July 20, 2007

So Close To Me?

Okay, so this band called The Cure was in my music wheelhouse when I was in college. Very few people ever heard of them. Those that had heard of them, well, didn't "get" the generally moody music sung by people wearing all black and heavy on eye liner. Keep in mind this was before that was "normal" in music circles.

Yeah. I was into them. I still have their greatest hits CD...although I liked the deeper cuts on their albums (for my younger readers, those are what music was played on before cassette tapes, which were before CD's, which are now used to transfer music to your Mp3 player).

But they're playing the American Airlines Center in October. Tickets go on sale this weekend.

What's the big deal, you ask?

First of all, tickets are $45-$65 bucks per.

Secondly, the American Airlines Center seats 14,280 for concerts.

And I'd swear that if you added up the seating capacity of all the venues The Cure played on their first North American tour you wouldn't get as high as 14,280. I paid $8 to see them at a dive caled the 688 Club in Atlanta. And I can't imagine they sold many more records than the total attendees of their shows. Really. They were pretty obscure.

My question today is how did they get to be so big they'd even have the chance to play that venue and that many people would see them and be willing to pay that kind of cash?

I guess when all the "emo" bands out there mention that The Cure was a major influence on them then the listeners go to iTunes and download a few songs. Or maybe it was because Adam Sandler told Drew Barrymore that "he was listening to a lot of The Cure back then" when he wrote a horribly depressing song (but hysterically funny) that he was about to sing to her.

Either way, I'm kinda suprised to see The Cure playing the AAC at $65 bucks a throw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home