Friday, July 13, 2007

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that everybody should verify things they forward by e-mail on "snopes.com" before they send it, even if the thing they're forwarding says that snopes.com says "it's true!"
...that it's time for the Rangers to trade Mark Teixeira. Oh, and we won't miss you, Mark. We just went 16-11 while you were out with your injury, and we sure could use two or three minor-league pitchers in exchange for your bad attitude.
...that with our church's family camp going on this week, only me and Bill and Nathan are the pastors who'll be working this weekend. It feels kind of like the first 20 minutes of "Home Alone."
...last night, Tracy and I got hung up in this show where you win money for karoake but they stop the lyrics and you have to fill in the blanks with the next words. Some agent needs to sign up the contestant as it was if somebody spilled two entire cups of cuteness on her. She won $350,000, and went out on "Satisfaction" when she had to come up with the next 10 words after, "I'm drivin' in my car, and a man comes on the radio, tellin' me more and more..." She filled in the blanks by singing that she won $350,000 and wasn't going to risk it.
...that this quote from John F. Kennedy still rings true: "The United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient--that we are only 6% of the world's population--that we cannot impose our will on the other 94% of mankind--that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversary--and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem."
...that it's interesting how the same people that raked Bill Clinton over the coals for his supposed dalliance in the Oval Office seem to revere Kennedy when he appeared to be FAR more promiscuous.
...that when somebody told me how many of my former students were working at Pine Cove or Kanakkuk camps this summer, I wasn't surprised, but I said a little prayer of thanks and thanked that person for encouraging me.
...that I begged off mowing the lawn yesterday because it was supposed to be cooler on Saturday morning but now it's supposed to rain another 3 or 4 inches today. Oh, well.
...that when you have a physical scheduled in your 40's an entirely different set of thoughts/fears run through your mind than when you'd have a physical in college.
...I've got friends who are taking a well-deserved vacation starting today, and it always sounds so cool when people say, "Yeah, we're off to Cabo this weekend." I've never been to Cabo. I'm not sure I've ever listed Cabo on my "places-I-want-to-go" list. But I've heard about Cabo. And it's fun to say Cabo.
...I've got a closet clean-out and a garage clean-out looming.
...Tracy and I have been having empty nest practice with Shelby away with ballet for two more weeks and Kelsey being 15 and out most nights. I wonder if the "It's-so-quiet" thing goes away after a while once you get used to it, and I wonder if the "I kinda miss that kind of noise" thing goes away, too.
...I'm still not wanting an iPhone, despite Apple's very best advertising attempts to get me to buy one. And, in spite of my friends who have them evangelizing me about them. Right now, priority 1 is replacing the iPod.
...that somebody asked me who I thought the three best all-around baseball players of all time were, and it'd be tough to argue that Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays and Barry Bonds had all the tools and talent and delivered. Bonds, steroids or no, is the best player I ever saw in person. Griffey, Jr. and A-Rod fill out the three best I ever saw up close.
...that Auburn kicks off in 48 days.a
...that Friday the 13th never really bothers me. Nor do black cats or walking under ladders.
...that I need to get ready for work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home