Saturday, July 07, 2007

Authentic Community

According to Mirriam-Webster:

Authentic: "conforming to an original so as to reproduce essential features"
Community: "a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society "

It's a buzzword. Especially among the younger members of our Tribe.

Allegedly, it's what they're looking for when they seek out a church to become a part of. They want "authentic community."

And, like all buzzwords, the meaning gets lost. I know, because I ask the younger members of our Tribe what that means and I am far from hearing anything that resembles a unified answer. Sure, I get the ingredients here and there but I don't get to eat the end result of their recipie. It's like they don't know exactly how to describe it, but they know it when they see it.

But I do like the ideal of what our Tribe should be. I like the idea that people come from all walks of life with all sorts of personalities and experiences and passions and interests and begin to live life together. A family in a very real sense. I'm drawn to it.

I've lived it in various forms since I was 16.

The influence of community in those various forms has been staggering in my journey. I've grown closer to Christ because of my time in it.

But...

...what is "authentic community?"
...what is our individual role within it?
...what are the benefits, personally and corporately--and in a bigger sense--societally? for The Kingdom?
...how do suburban American churches create an environment for "authentic community" to flourish?

Yeah.

I'm teaching a class on it for the next two weeks or so.

I'm enjoying my "job" very much these days, kids. Fasten your seatbelts, too. My "edge" seems to be coming back. I've missed it, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home