Monday, July 02, 2007

Yippee Ki Yay

Maybe it was the group that went together...about 14 of us.

Maybe it was the fact that John McLane is in my movie wheelhouse, seeing as how I saw the first Die Hard in the theater with another group of fun friends.

And I'm not sure I'd recommend the movie to everybody...it's PG-13 for a reason. And there's really not much in the way of deep-thought or movie genius or provocative ideas. And, yes, you had to suspend any and all sense of reality in both the plot and the action.

But stuff blew up about 2 minutes into it and didn't stop blowing up for the better part of an hour and a half. Funny/campy/hokey hero lines were said at a clip of about one per minute. My favorite was when John had just knocked a helictopter out of the sky with a speeding car that he bailed out of at the last minute (screaming "this is not a good idea, this is not a good idea" as he was opening the car door) and said he had to do it that way because he was "out of bullets." The prisoner who was with him asked John if he was okay--bleeding and battered--said, "Yes. Are you?" And the college kid said, "Well, I skinned my knee and my asthma's acting up, but..."

I can't think of a better time I've had at the movies in a long time watching Live Free or Die Hard. Maybe it'll win the Oscar for (Talledega Nights reference upcoming) Best Movie Ever Made.

And I don't think I'm giving too much away when I say that John McLane, thankfully & against all odds, saved the day again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home