Saturday, April 28, 2007

Is It Me?

We have this rule in our house: If you empty the tea or lemonade pitcher, you are required to make the next pitcher. Simple, right?

Why is it that most days, I open the refrigerator door only to see the bottom of either pitcher barely covered with a thin layer of beverage? The capper is that Kid1 and Kid2 will both go a day or so drinking water so as to avoid the responsibility.

Then I got to thinking about the other stuff that goes on around here...

...like the leaving of trash on the top of the trash can once the little revolving lid won't revolve any longer. And, if that balancing piece of trash happens to be a box of any kind, that will then become a mini-trash can until it, too, begins to overflow.

...like the space next to the sofa about six feet from the front door where gravity's pull on things like book bags, dance bags, shoes, etc., increases exponentially.

...like the roaming hair brush that no one knows where it is until you go into the girls' bathroom. Apparently, this brush has magical powers as no one has moved it or knows anything about how it might've gotten there.

...like the remote control winding up in a room where it won't remotely control anything (hey, if I'm airing dirty laundry, I'll air my own, too).

...like both phones winding up in the same room, three feet from each other, with both ringers turned off.

...like a simple question like, "Hey, does anyone know where an iPod charger might be?" causes a teen's eyes to look for cloud patterns in the popcorn ceiling or a glance back at the television pretending that the question wasn't heard.

...like the CD no one borrowed only to be found with toothpaste splatter on the burned side on, of all places, a bathroom countertop.

Now, these things really amuse me more than annoy me, and I kinda smile bewilderedly when I run across these peculiar occurrances. But, you know what? I think that somewhere around 2012 (if not sooner), when these things happen with markedly less frequency, these are the very things I'll miss.

Note to self: Remember these nuances are signposts reading "I LIVE here" written by the people you love most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home