Wednesday, April 18, 2007

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that there will be a tendency for Dallas Stars fans to blame goalie Marty Turco for the series of one-goal losses in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs (the most exciting playoffs of all major sports, by the way), but somebody better look seriously at Mike Modano not showing up. I realize he's a fan favorite, but he's disappeared this series, and we'll likely be out of the playoffs Thursday because of it.
...maybe it's because it's so rare here in Texas, but manalive do I enjoy the rain like we had yesterday.
...I teach a class of adults on Tuesday nights and made a conscious decision to teach adults the same way I've taught teenagers for two decades now. My teenagers have grown used to my fidgety approach but I can't decide if the grown-ups truly enjoy it, are amused by it but fight through it, or see it as distracting. They tell me they like it, but maybe they're just being nice.
...I have no idea why, but when you owe money on your taxes, there's something kind of fun about waiting to the last day to send them the money.
...I'm reading another really insightful book about the future of the church based on current observations of where it is now. I'm not sure this is good for my mental state.
...It's been a while since I've extolled the enjoyment of the unlimited free podcasts available from our good friends at iTunes, but that is one truly helpful use of the internet.
..Ian Kinsler might be the best-kept secret in major league baseball.
...that there isn't much better in high school than not having to report until 11:30AM, and this week they get to do that with the exception of their particular state mandated testing day. My daughter only has to go in at the regular time on Thursday, which has given her a predisposition to happiness above and beyond what she normally is anyway.
...it's so strange to be going to Bible study these days because it seems like this group is really only starting to gel and be helpfully transparent with each other, and now we only have four weeks left before summer and everything will change.
...I'd like some new music, but nothing really excites me right now. Any suggestions?
...I think it's funny that The Diner patrons stroll up to me to discuss whatever was in my entry that day and they start with, "I'd never comment, but here's what I would've said." Somebody asked me how many people read each day and it's around 200 different people, but those people hit 3 or 4 times per day. So that means that even on busy days, about 180 people read but don't comment.
...I'm not given to gadgetry, but once someone shows me how to use various ones I get on the bandwagons quickly. And I really don't like my cell phone anyway (I've gotten to where I take it to work, and leave it on my desk, or leave it in the car at lunch, or it's in the back when I'm at home--I truly dislike it) but now I want one that keeps 100 songs on it. I have no idea why this is, but I think it has something to do with how fun it'll be to pick a song for the 30 people who are stored on my phone's ringtones. So I guess phone ringtones will be fun but I won't hear them most of the time.
...it's springtime again, because I'm considering shutting The Diner down and focusing energies on more creative/helpful writing pursuits. It's an idle threat, but one that enters my brain almost every day when I sit down to do this.
...that I'm the only person on the planet that thinks the Blacksburg police and Va Tech administration all did the best they could with the information they had at the time. If someone's willing to die to make something happen, you can bet that thing is going to happen, no matter the precautions or protocols set forth.
...my dog makes me happy even when he's not doing anything. He doesn't do anything for about 20 hours a day. For some reason, this is actually endearing when it comes to him.
...Tracy and I feel cluttered in our home these days. We attribute this to the reality that we've never lived anyplace as long as we've lived in this place and you just kinda keep stuff when you have the space for the stuff. I think we need one of those shows on TLC where they unclutter your life, otherwise we'll likely just keep the clutter.
...that I should do something constructive with my day, so I'll let you get on with yours, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home