Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Jim and Casper Went To Church...Day 2

As I told you yesterday, I finished reading a book titled Jim and Casper Go To Church. It's about Jim, a "professional Christian" and Matt, an atheist, and they act like "secret shoppers" at various churches around the U.S. And, it was a good read...one that provoked a lot of thinking in me so I thought I'd kick it around here at The Diner.

Same ground rules as yesterday, okay? (read them for yourself by scrolling to the entry)

They went to a large church with all the accoutrements of a large church, and here's a conversation they had about the music. See, Casper is a musician by trade and Jim figured that since so many people attend church because of "worship" that he'd be impressed by this church's ability to have excellent musicians and presentation:

[after a few songs in which Jim was figuring Casper would be impressed by the technical excellence of the musicians, and Casper gave it a "2" out of 5 rating]

Casper: Well, yeah, for presentation and professionalism, they get a four or five, but the music is too contrived, too slick, too professional, really."
Jim: But that's a good thing, no? That should attract people, right?
Casper: Maybe people who like American Idol. I mean, don't get me wrong. I see the entertainment value, but when it comes to music, I like it pure. Too much polish and you lose the heartfelt power, you lose the soul of the music, and you're not gonna move anyone.

[Casper later described the lyrics as "contrived" and "soulless"]

Your thoughts?

I thought I'd start to keep the topic to one as yesterday was a little to scattered to get good discussion going, is that okay? We've got as long as we like here at The Diner to kick this stuff around.

*Pours coffee, sets up even more chairs, calls fire marshall to ensure that we're within code, and extends business hours, knowing that today's topic ought to bring in a rush*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home