Tuesday, January 23, 2007

So Easy, But So Hard

It was a simple statement I came across reading a book yesterday, by Rick McKinley:

"The act itself preaches."

It's an old theme...the old "actions-speak-louder-than-words" bit. Mother Theresa jumped all over that with statements like "There should be less talk; a preaching point is not a meeting point...Take a broom and clean someone's house. That says enough." Yeah, we've all heard it until it becomes blah blah blah blah blah blah. And we agree with it, generally.

Rick (I'm on a first-name basis with him now since I listen to his podcasts weekly, and if he ever shows up at The Diner, well, suffice to say the coffee's on the house but he and I will have a lengthy chat about this, that and other things) put the statement in a "kingdom context" that really got me thinking about it:

"The fact is, our lives do preach. But what do they preach? Do they announce to the world that God mourns with those who mourn and is risen 'with healing in His wings'? Or do our lives announce that God is apathetic?"

So, ummm. Yeah.

The act itself preaches.

It's a loaded statement for me right now (bordering on haunting me, frankly, and it's only been about 18 hours), and has the gears spinning on the repercussions in my own life and in the life of the people I rub shoulders with in the Kingdom.

The act itself preaches.

I may get that tatooed soon...

...or at the very least put on some t-shirts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home