Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Overheard At Pine Cove

I got back from two days at Pine Cove Shores Camp. It's our "No Agenda" weekend where we actually give the teens a true retreat...no schedule to speak of and any planned meetings are "optional." Perfect for busy teens...and what's cool is the relaxed nature of it all gives our staff time to build relationships and spend a good deal of time with teens. I know if you click on Bob & Sue's link on the left you can get an idea what it's like from one of our volunteers.

Anyway, instead of regailing you with all the soggy details of the weekend (manalive, did it ever rain), there were two things I overheard that I thought I'd share.

The first instance, a teenager was making observations about how she was able to get through a very difficult stretch in her life. We were talking about the nature of grace, the unmerited favor/divine enablement, and what it's like to truly experience that reality. Her comment about getting through the curve ball life's throwing at her: "Grace is totally my best friend right now."

The second, a teen was making random observations about our church--positively and negatively, but both were being done very humorously: "I don't think it's a very good sign when you walk into church and most of the women have short hair and most of the men are bald."

I could go on for hours about stuff that was said, both in serious discussions and light-hearted banter, because that's the nature of the weekend. But I got a big kick out of both of those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home