Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Bowl Game Predictions Update

Meineke Car Care Bowl: Navy (+6) vs. Boston College. My pick: Boston College 24, Navy 17. Result: BC 25, Navy 24. Explanation: Good game, but I still can't believe BC didn't cover. 9-9.

Alamo Bowl: Iowa (+10.5) vs. Texas. My pick: Take Iowa and the points, but Texas wins, 27-21. Result: Texas 26, Iowa 24. Explanation: HEY! I got another one pretty much right! 10-9.

Chick Fil A Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Georgia (+2.5). My pick: Give me Dawgs in case the good team shows up, 17-14. Result: UGA 31, VaTech 24. Explanation: VaTech continues to play SEC schools tough but comes up short. 11-9.

MPC Computers Bowl: Nevada (+3.5) vs. Miami. My pick: Hurricanes 23, Nevada 17. Result: Miami 21, Nevada 20. Explanation: Miami should've lost this game...so the fact that they didn't cover is the least of their worries. 11-10.

Outback Bowl: Penn State (+4.5) vs. Tennessee. My pick: Tennessee 21, Paterno 17. Result: Penn State 20, Tennessee 10. Explanation: An 88-yard fumble return in the 4th quarter did the Vols in, but Penn State covered. 12-10.

Cotton Bowl: Auburn vs. Nebraska (+2). My pick: Auburn 27-17. Result: Auburn 17, Nebraska 14. Explanation: I KNEW I could count on the Tigers even if they suspended 3 starters! 13-10.

Capital One Bowl: Wisconsin (+1.5) vs. Arkansas. My pick: Wisconsin 23, Arkansas 21. Result: Wisconsin 17, Razorbacks 14. Explanation: Hey! This one played out about like I thought it would, too! 14-10.

Gator Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. West Virginia (-7). UWV 34, Georgia Tech 24. Result: Moutaineers 38, Yellow Jackets 35. Explanation: I still think I'd give 7 to Tech without Reggie Ball...which is why I don't bet. 14-11.

Rose Bowl: Southern Cal vs. Michigan (+1). Michigan 28, USC, 24. Result: USC 32, Michigan 18. Explanation: I guess Michigan wasn't as good as everyone thought they were...and they certainly should keep their mouths shut about deserving to play in the National Championship game. 14-12.

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Boise State (+7.5). My pick: Sooners 35, Boise State 17. Result: Boise State 43, OU 42 in OT. Explanation: Don't dis me for this one, you picked the Sooners, too. Although, after their amazing bowl-game el foldos (along with the rest of the *ahem* Big 12) maybe we should start thinking about them differently. 14-13.

Orange Bowl: Wake Forest (+10) vs. Louisville. My pick: Louisville 31, Wake Forest 13. Result: UL 24, Demon Decons 13. Explanation: I only missed it by one touchdown, but Wake gave them a much better game than I thought they would. 15-13.

Sugar Bowl: LSU vs. Notre Dame (+8.5). My pick: LSU 31, Notre Dame 21. (I'd be tempted to say 14 because Brady Quinn is overrated). Result: LSU 41, Notre Dame 14. Explanation: Notre Dame & Brady Quinn were even worse than I thought they were. Seriously, the BCS should reconsider the Notre Dame free pass. 16-13.

International Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Western Michigan (+8). My pick: Bearcats 29, Broncos 20. Result: Cincinnati 27, WMU 24. Explanation: I couldn't have known that the Bearcats would be playing in the bowl game with an entirely new coaching staff. They still should've won by 10, though. 16-14.

GMAC Bowl: Southern Miss vs. Ohio (+6). My pick: Golden Eagles 21, Ohio 14. Result: Southern Miss 28, Ohio 7. Explanation: Conference USA isn't all that bad compared to the minor conferences. 17-14.

BCS National Championship: Ohio State vs. Florida (+7.5). My pick: "Is it possible, just possible that the Big 10 has been overrated while the SEC has been beating each other up week after week?...They haven't played a defense as good as Florida's and on a neutral field, with the Gators having a chip on their shoulder, frankly, I don't need your points. Gators 28, OSU 20." Result: Gators 41, Ohio State 14. Explanation: For people who observe the SEC consistently, this was pretty easy. And, if you're printing them J & M Bookstore, I'll buy one of those bumper stickers that reads Auburn 27, National Champions 17. 18-14.

So, there you have it, college football fans. The Diner won 18 of the picks and lost 14 for the 32 bowl games...against the Las Vegas betting line, mind you.

The best bowl of the year: Unquestionably Boise State's win over OU. Runner-up: Texas Tech's win in the Insight Bowl.

And, I'm kinda sad it's over for another year...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home