Sunday, January 07, 2007

Cobwebs

Monical Lewinsky is in the news again. This time because she graduated with her Master's Degree...in social psychology.

Those cheerleaders from the area high school are in the news again. This time they're talking about how much their senior year has been affected by their unruly behavior--which came to light after a discovery of suggestive photos that were posted on a web page.

And, truth be told, I feel a bit of empathy for Monica. I mean, this was a young woman who got into a university and landed a plum job in the White House--and was building an impressive resume. Then--a foolish choice. Granted, with the President of the United States, but a foolish choice nonetheless.

Same for the cheerleaders. While they might've been a bit more defiant towards authority over time, they did some foolish things: The first, taking a photo in a condom store. The second posting it on the Web.

But Ms. Lewinsky can't enjoy what should be a grand moment for her. The headlines read "Smart But Stupid" or "From Thong To Thesis." They sell papers, and frankly, are clever enough, but folks, they ain't giving away degrees from the London School of Economics.

And, I'm wondering what each of our lives would be like if we'd always be known for some sort of foolish choice we made. In this age where mobile phones take video, I wonder what dirt will come out in about 15 years when some of these high schoolers and collegians begin to run for various offices.

I mean, when I was younger, the video camera or digital camera weren't prolific (if they existed at all, I didn't ever see one until later in my college years, and you had to check that one out from the AV department)...

...and I'm glad.

It could be anything. That stupid remark you said to a friend. The fight you had in front of everybody with your girlfriend. The curse word you blurted out after striking out. The encounter with the police you had for driving really fast on the nearly-completed (but yet to be opened) Interstate near your house. Getting caught by your manager at work goofing off or breaking some policy regarding NOT letting your friends into the movies for free. The senior prank that went awry. Getting caught skipping school.

And, let's be honest, do we really want the behavior we exhibited during our university years out there? I don't even want the PHOTOS I have in my albums out there NOW, for crying out loud. It was the eighties. It was Alabama. Mullets were involved.

Or how about the early years of marriage?

Or those first few experiences of rearing children?

See, that's not to say we didn't have our good moments during those high school years or college years, either. We made decent grades...at least good enough to stay in school and finish. We had laughs. We did some very good things in both places. There was growth between points A and B.

And I wonder how life would be for me if there was the same amount of media coverage...

...not to mention the "personal, self-publishing" media that every teen has access to...

...out there when I was making more consistently foolish choices.

and how miserable I'd be if all I was remembered for was The New Year's Eve debacle of 1985.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home