Wednesday, October 25, 2006

More From Yesterday

So, yesterday I talked about The Big Risk: Writing.

I talked about the drawbacks. I talked about the difficulties. I talked about the ups and downs of it.

And I have a few more thoughts:

First, I mentioned I didn't know what to write about. I am speaking specifically about the Christian publishing end of that spectrum...am I missing something? There's pretty much a book for every topic you can imagine in any bookstore regarding the spiritual life. Is there some topic that hasn't been covered? Is there some topic that hasn't been covered well? What would The Diner readership want a book about?

Second, I am wondering if blogging such a book might not be a bad idea. I mean, you don't have to get paid for a writing ministry (although, a little extra cash never hurts in the world of youth ministry). And I'm not sure that I want to become a part of the Christian publishing world, either. Most of you know my disdain for "Christian retailing." I also have a disdain for "Christian celebrity." You know, write a book that helps people, go on book signing tours, hop on Dobson's show, speak at churches here and there...although I'm not exactly sure why my disdain is about on that one.

Maybe there's a way to write helpful stuff and not become a part of that scene and still get a little something on the side financially. Sort of like the band Lost and Found does it: Do it all yourself, maintain artistic control and still have a place. If somebody's doing writing that way, maybe they're on to something.

Lastly, the issue of risk is there if I were to finish a work. Would people like it? Would it "sell?" Would people tell me if it sucked and save me the embarrassment? Ahh...still the insecurities exist, don't they.

So, yeah...

...if you guys could tell me what it is that the Christian community should/should/needs to hear about from me (of all people)...

...yeah, that'd be helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home