Saturday, October 21, 2006

It Isn't Rocket Science

It's a political football where I live: The Wright Amendment.

For those unfamiliar with the law, it was put in place at the time DFW Airport was built and, in effect, makes sure that you can't have "long-haul" flights out of the Love Field Airport downtown.

So, "regional" carriers, like Southwest, can fly out of Love and land in a state the touches Texas...but if you wanted to fly out of the region from there you're outta luck.

For years, Southwest wanted that law changed. For years, American (who uses DFW as their host hub) wanted that law the same. It played out in the politics and the papers. It gave me tired-head as it didn't really affect me as someone who flies maybe twice a year. I still don't understand the nuances and I'm sure there are all sorts of pros and cons and legal issues that keep it from a simple solution.

But here's what I know: The day after some sort of compromise went into effect, American lowered their rates to better the rates Southwest published to their new cities. Not only to the airports serviced by Southwest but also to the other airports in those cities Southwest didn't service.

And while I wasn't the best student in economics, maybe that supply & demand thing works as advertised and competition is a good thing, eh? I can't blame Southwest for going for it and I can't blame American for fighting it, but I'm glad the competition is on...because it seems to me that average folks win on this deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home